Tis the Season
One third of purchases made around the holidays are impulse buys, report Google and Ipsos. Don’t miss out on that market just because you’re in the business of vision care. There are lots of easy ways to prompt impulse purchases in your optical. From wrapping ‘em to stacking them, here are several ways, places, and items that will build both interest and income.
Tip: Set the tone for holiday giving by promoting recycling and donations of unwanted eyewear plus contributions to another worthy local cause.
• Set the mood with a fragrance machine or holiday candles. Decorate to help create the holiday spirit of giving and gifting. Take a tip from the holidays boxed goods mindset of retailers and put small gift items into boxes…some wrapped, some open for customers to see.
• PRICEPOINTS. $9.99, $14.99, and $19.99 are the most popular price targets for impulse purchases.
• ITEMS: Popular items to offer in your location include gift cards to your business, fun readers, cool cases, eyeglass holders (for kids and adults), cleaning kits (cleaner and cloth in a customized bag), eye valets, repair kits, sporty retainers, and styling eyeglass chains.
• GIVING. Set the tone for holiday giving by promoting recycling and donations of unwanted eyewear plus contributions to another worthy (and preferably local) cause that is a personal favorite.
• SHOWCASE. Make it about community and offer small handcrafted items from local artisans. Include a card about them (and you) in the gift box.
Create a highly visible gift center + a small area at checkout. Have signage support the gifting messaging and its location. Create and promote gift cards. And consider putting a tree in the window that’s decorated with accessory items instead of just traditional ornaments.
Do you package and sell items for gift giving this time of year? If so, tell us about it and share in the conversation on Facebook here.