COVID Tips and Resources
As Covid numbers continue to ramp up again, practices are faced with fresh challenges. Here are some recommendations from several respected sources.
Tip: Register both patients and visitors, including contact information and time in and out of the location.
How do you handle time off for vaccinations, whether initial doses or follow-up? Harvard suggests 4 hours PTO per dose. Source: Harvard.edu
In June 2021, OSHA released new standards, developed by a presidential executive order, for healthcare facilities that include optometric offices. Referred to as OSHA Subpart U, this Emergency Temporary Standard, which became effective June 21, recommends:
• SCREENING. Continued screening of ALL non-employees before entry. If you chose not to, you are required to have a detailed plan in place re. employee training, hazard assessment, and more. This is required even if all staff has been vaccinated.
• SIZE. According to OSHA, “For facilities with 10 or more employees (including the doctors), the Covid Plan must be put in writing.”
Source: OSHA FAQ 6-17-21
• STEPS. Start by designating a coordinator in your practice and continue to train employees.
POLICIES + PROCEDURES
• POLICIES. Develop a workplace hazard assessment and policies and procedures to minimize the risk of transmission of COVID-19.
• COORDINATION. Be sure to designate a coordinator who can then help train staff as necessary.
• CONTACT. Many practices now register both patients and visitors, including contact information and time in and out of the location. This is especially important should a patient or staff member come down with Covid.
What steps have you taken in your practice to protect both staff and patients? Tell us about it and share in the conversation on Facebook here.